14 Foods to Never Feed Your Pet

14 Foods to Never Feed Your Pet

by Patrick Brian O’Neill on April 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Almost everyone with a pet has been guilty one time or another of feeding their pet table scraps. When you’re eating dinner and your beloved pet gives you ‘the eyes’, it can be nearly impossible to resist, and who doesn’t like spoiling their pet?

Unfortunately, an occasional table scrap may be more harmful than you think. Giving in may instill bad behaviors, such as begging and whining – which I know from firsthand experience, can get very annoying. Feeding pets table scraps for years can also lead to obesity, diabetes and overall poor health. The odd piece of meat shouldn’t harm your dog, but there are many foods out there that can be very harmful if ingested by your pet.
Visit PetAlive.com, by Native Remedies, for 100% Natural and Safe Herbal Remedies for Pets

Below are some foods you should never feed your pet:

    • Chocolate, Coffee & Anything with Caffeine – Chocolate is an obvious one; most people know it can be very harmful if eaten by an animal – but coffee and caffeinated foods? All these foods contain methylxanthines, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, heavy breathing, muscle tremors, seizures and even death. So, it is highly advisable to avoid giving your pet any of these substances.
    • Apricot Pits – Contain small amounts of cyanide which can lead to respiratory issues
    • Hops – Can cause increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.
    • Avocado – This fruit contains persin, a chemical present in avocado leaves, bark and the fruit itself. In pets, it can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and breathing troubles. There have even been a few reported deaths after ingestion.

  • Grapes & Raisins – Grapes and raisins are known to cause kidney troubles in pets. Avoid these fruits, especially if your pet already has kidney problems.
  • Dairy Products – Pets cannot digest milk very well; it can cause stomach upset and other allergic reactions, often resulting in skin irritation.
  • Moldy Foods – Can cause Vomiting, Tremors and Seizures.
  • Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many forms of candy. If ingested it can cause low blood sugar and even liver damage.
  • Onions – Onions in any form can lower a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia.
  • Mushrooms – Mushrooms are hard to identify and many can be poisonous to pets. Symptoms of a toxic mushrooms can include, upset stomach, gastrointestinal irritation, hallucination and even death.  If your yard has mushrooms growing make sure to remove them promptly.
  • Salt – Too much salt can cause your pet to experience excessive thirst and urination, so keep those salty treats to yourself.
  • Yeast Dough – It is ok to feed your dog a little bread, as long as it’s baked. Raw dough can expand in your pet’s stomach, causing intense pain and discomfort.
  • Nuts – Almonds, black walnuts, english walnuts, hickory nuts, Japanese walnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans and pistachios, can cause upset stomach or an obstruction in your dog’s gastrointestinal tract.  Symptoms generally show around 12-48 hours after ingestion and can include omiting, muscle spasms, increased heart rate and a rise in body temperature.

These are just some of the foods that can be harmful to your pet, so make sure to consult your vet before feeding your pet table scraps and contact your vet immediately if your animal consumes any of these foods.

Parasite Dr.Promotes digestive detoxification and functioning in cats and dogs, plus cleanses the blood

Digestive SupportPromotes healthy digestion in dogs and cats


Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s